Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Courgette and Basil Terrine



It would be really mean of me not to share this fabulous terrine with you, the last one I did if you saw my post a few weeks ago was with tuna which was really quite unusual and very tasty, best of all  quite simple to make. Well my DH was in the Haute Savoie last week on business and he was having an appero (drinks and nibbles before main meal) and was served small pieces of this Courgette and basil Terrine by Fabienne, who was his host for the week, and he thought it was so delicious that he asked  for the recipe.
This time of the year we have courgettes coming out of our ears, to coin a phrase, and the challenge is always to find something else other than soup or stuffed courgettes.  Well this is it, I made this today and I did taste a little bit while it was still warm and I think it is going to be very tasty indeed when properly chilled and,  as I sit here, it is doing that right now.

 I would say this would feed a good 12 for starters so I guess some of it will go in the freezer to keep the other half of the tuna terrine company for awhile. You could also halve the ingredients to make a smaller portion.

Turn your oven to 180deg    (Moderate)

Ingredients

1,2kg Courgettes (2lb 10oz)
5 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of chopped basil
30g parmesan cheese (1oz)
100g of Swiss cheese (3.5ozs)
6 eggs
3 tablespoons of white breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper

Trim ends of courgettes and cut into very small pieces, take a large pan and add and heat the 4 tbls of olive oil and then add the courgettes,a little salt & pepper and stir fry for approx 30 minutes.
Finely chop the garlic and basil.
Break 6 eggs into a large bowl and add the chopped garlic, basil, the parmesan and the breadcrumbs and give it a good stir round.
Add the Swiss cheese into the courgettes mix and switch the heat off.
Now pour the courgette mix into the large bowl with the other ingredients.
Lightly butter a loaf tin and pour the mixture in
Cook in a bain –marie (I just used a deep dish and poured a little water in the base) cook for 45 minutes, switch the oven off and leave for 10 minutes with the door half opened for about 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and when cooled place in the fridge to chill.
Serve in slices or dice

One point my DH mentioned was that Fabienne cut her courgettes much smaller than mine so next time I will do just that. Pause for appero!!!

We have now tasted it and it is light and totally delicious so thanks to Fabienne I have yet another great recipe to pass on. Hope that if you try it you will come back and let me know what you thought. Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...