Monday, January 23, 2012

"Infidel" Ayaan Hirsi Ali 2008


 It took me 2 days to read this profoundly affecting memoir from Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s “Infidel” An incredible insight to a young girl’s traditional Muslim upbringing. Not only did she survive female circumcision, civil war, brutal beatings and later death threats.
She had the courage and intelligence to stand up and speak out for the rights of Muslim women and the reform of Islam.

Salman Rushdie quote: “This is an immensely important book, passionate, challenging and necessary. It should be read as widely as possible, because it tells the truth – the unvarnished, uncomfortable truth.”

The short film made by Theo Van Gogh “Submission” which resulted in Theo’s murder and death threats to Ayaan need no further explanation its short and to the point. I wish this book had never needed to be written, and I too hope like Ayaan that one day all women will be free and equal.

In response to ongoing abuses of women’s rights, Ayaan Hirsi Ali and her supporters established the AHA Foundation in 2007 to help protect and defend the rights of women in the West from oppression justified by religion and culture.


http://theahafoundation.org/

 Submission Part 1




2 comments:

Malea said...

Oooooh! I've had this on my list forever! I will definitely pop it up to the top of my list. Glad you reviewed it as no one I know has read it yet...

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Great Malea and I hope when you do read it you come back and let me know what you think. I am toying with getting her other one "The caged Virgin"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...