Sunday, April 28, 2013

Before you throw the Duvet Out

 I was given a  pink floral and lacy duvet cover, and as pink is not my favourite colour (not that I was ungrateful for the donation I might add)  it was dutifully washed, cut  into usable pieces and  put away till I got my head round as to what to do with it.  As it turned out that did  not take very long,  the first thing I made was some bunting for Poppy (my grand daughter's) new bedroom, seeing as she  loves pink, so 15 flags in all and I even used the lace that came with the original duvet cover, well would be rude not to really.

Then the The Great British Sewing Bee popped onto our screens and Poppy saw the smocked dress and said she loved it and could she have one!  I rummaged through my materials and finally came up with  some blue & lilac floral and a good match in a plain lilac. Poppy of course wanted a pink one, that at least should have been a good cue for me to remember the duvet! well it didn't, and now I am actually glad   my memory chose not to remind me, as this combination worked well together, and have to say Pops loves it and she does look cute in it.   I have no idea how long it is since I last  smocked and I had forgotten how much fun it is (once you get the tension right that is). Should I be worried that I keep forgetting things? 

Now back to the duvet cover, so far, bunting, 1 smocked dress, a little lavender sachet, and  I still have a  goodly amount left left. mmh... what else can I make? I do have a pouch bad ready cut out to stitch. So just before you decide to get rid  have a quick think again, you might be pleasantly surprised.


Have you  made anything with your duvet? please share would love to see your creations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now, there you go. Beautiful. A fabric pattern like that never goes out of style. The more simpler the pattern, the longer the life. Well done. Tammy

Sydney in Wonderland said...

Looks lovely! I made curtains from a duvet for my old house. When the house went, I left the curtains because the new owners loved them (and I was itching to make something new!). I never did make a new set!

Krishenkas Treasures said...

I see I am not alone then, phew that makes me feel normal:) I just bought a duvet yesterday for 1 euro and well will let you see it another time. Thanks for popping in with your duvet curtains story Sydney,and must be about time to make a new set:)

carrad said...

Poppy looks so lovely in the dress. I'm currently making a summer dress from old curtains - never throw anything away! xxx

Krishenkas Treasures said...

My mum used to make me dresses from old curtains when I was a tot and I never gave it a second thought,and probably explains why I am a horder now of all sorts of fabrics curtains and all:) Would love to see the dress when finished Carolyn.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...