Saturday, June 25, 2011

****I'm Jamming**** Hope you like Jamming 2



Cherry Plums (Prunus cerasifera) are already ripe almost a month ahead this year.  I only got 1 kilo this time (about 2lbs) and ended up with 2 jars of jelly, nevertheless delicious. I  love the spring when the blossom comes out and then I just wait patiently for the fruit to arrive.




Bubbling up

How I made mine

1kilo Cherry Plums
1/2 kilo brown  sugar
300 ml of water
Good splash of Calvados
(put some water in the fridge to chill before you start so you can use it to check the jelly is set later)
Pop evertyhing into a large flat-bottomed pan, except the calvados.
Stir and bring to the boil. Boil until the skins start coming off and the fruit comes away from the stones.
I then put through a fine sieve to get rid of the stones and skins and mash it  till you get all the juice out and then pop back into the pan. Now add the calvados
Continue boiling the mixture until ‘setting point’ is reached. Which can take up to 30 minutes.


Take your cold water out and put some onto a saucer. Using a teaspoon, let a few drops of the jam mixture drip on to the chilled water in the saucer and allow it to cool for a short while. Now push your finger sideways against the jam. When it is at the right setting point, the jam should crinkle, and be nice and tacky.


Pour into sterilised jam jars and screw the lid on.  I know the jar  has strawberries on the lid but beggers can't be choosers. Pop in for a coffee later and try my jelly with some homemade bread which will be done very soon. 

Poppy getting stuck into hot bread and you guessed cherry jam .

10 comments:

Adaptable Kay said...

Ooooh, may I just say DELICIOUS!! Or so it looks like xD

I would love to be able to try to make my own jelly one of these days-I think that would be so much fun!

Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Half the jars gone and the bread is finished and I am sure I have just gained an extra kilo!!! Just as well it's just once a year. Hope your having a good weekend.

Malea said...

Yummy! Our local shop had blueberries on sale over the weekend, so I bought a bunch and made blueberry jam. So yummy!!!!

Krishenkas Treasures said...

I have tried blueberry muffins but not the jam we don't get it here unfortunately. I would like to though do you have a special recipe for your jam?

carrad said...

Love the picture of Poppy - it's a classic! I've been making redcurrant jelly with our fruit, and the raspberry vodka is progressing nicely! xxx

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Now you have me wanting the recipe for rasberry vodka, feel like sharing? I love redcurrant jelly you will have to bring some over with you next trip:)

lavada nicholls photography said...

Love this, and good tips for jam makers!

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Will take that as a compliment from you! as I have been lucky enough to also have tasted your delicious jams, oh and chutneys:) Nice to see you here :) thank you for popping in xx

Anonymous said...

You did such a great jon with your photos and sharing your recipe! What an inspiration. Now I'm going to try it here. I'll let you know how things turn out.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlueMoonAttic

Krishenkas Treasures said...

oh please do Blue moon and hope you enjoy it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...